PLAQUEMINE, La. (BRPROUD) — Several residents in the Plaquemine area said they noticed smoke coming from the plant and an awful smell Monday night.

At around 8:30 p.m., law enforcement got a call saying that there was a chlorine spill inside the Dow facility.

On Facebook, officials announced that it was ok to lift the shelter-in-place notice for the residents after analyzing the air quality.

An independent company known as Olin Chemicals, which owns and operates units inside Dow’s complex is where the fire occurred. They believed that the fire was caused when a compressor caught on fire and sent chlorine gas throughout the facility.

Courtesy of Rodney Waldroup

While many think these spills are rare, it happens more often than you think. Iberville Sheriff Brett Stassi and Iberville Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Director Clint Moore said that they are developing and examining new ways to improve on future “spills.”

“As of right now, we are getting together to find out how we can change some things of what went wrong and reflect on the things that were good to prepare for next time,” said Sheriff Stassi.

According to Louisiana State Police, they are currently working on a report of the leak which may be presented tomorrow.