BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The beginning of the new year is an exciting time for some to hit redo. Losing weight, hitting the gym or giving yourself a style makeover can lead to clothes piling up in boxes or trash bags and sitting in the trunk for months.
So, where are some places you can go to donate clothes? Here is a list of organizations that accept clothing for military families, women in need, families or people who need work clothes.
Local thrift stores
- Our Hope Thrift and Donation Center (8646 Goodwood Blvd., Suite B): The main goal is to help support military families when spouses are deployed by selling clothing, furniture, appliances and more.
- America’s Thrift Stores (9526 Cortana Place): Proceeds from clothing, furniture and toys support charity partners such as Louisiana Adult and Teen Challenge and Home of Grace which are recovery programs that help adults and teens fight addictions.
- Pickup Please: Clothing, household items, books and other donations go toward the Vietnam Veterans of America. Pickup is free, tax-deductible and can be scheduled online.
- St. Vincent de Paul Society (5621 Government Street): Gently-used furniture, appliances, clothing and household items will be sold at its thrift stores to generate funding for services and assist needy families.
- Southern University A&M College’s Career Clothes Closet: Students can choose new or gently worn professional attire for interviews and keep them for future use. Clothing such as suits, slacks, ties, blouses and more are donated by alumni or other professionals.
Clothing drives to look out for
- Suiting101’s Suits for Success: Suits for both men and women in good condition can be dropped off. Suits are donated to local nonprofits working with prison reform, substance abuse recovery and other at-risk individuals.
- Women in Media’s Attire for Hire: This clothing drive accepts professional clothing for disadvantaged Baton Rouge women. Clothes are given out to local organizations dedicated to helping the lives of women struggling with financial issues, abuse and addiction.