BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) says it is ready to respond in case of icy road conditions this week.
During winter weather conditions, DOTD staff will continually monitor bridges and, if necessary and as resources allow, salt them. Staff also will monitor surface conditions of highways, interstates and priority routes that are heavily traveled and provide updates regarding those conditions. DOTD is prepared to close bridges and elevated sections of roadway that are considered unsafe. Motorists should be aware that bridges may freeze before crews can arrive or before a closure notice can be issued.DOTD
State transportation officials warn of black ice, defined as a thin, transparent layer of ice accumulation. Black ice is difficult to spot on bridges, overpasses, off-ramps and shady spots.
Safety tips from DOTD for drivers in wintery conditions:
- Drive slowly and carefully.
- If roadways are icy, do not use cruise control.
- Do not drive while distracted.
- Always allow for extra driving time.
- Reduce speeds when visibility is low.
- Make sure there is plenty of room between vehicles.
- Be on the lookout for DOTD crews and other emergency responders and their equipment.
- Remember that it’s unlawful and unsafe to drive around a road closed barricade for any reason.
- Do not drive in hazardous conditions.