BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — It was announced on Thursday, Oct. 5 that the Louisiana Fortify Homes Program will extend its second round of grants noon Monday, Oct. 16.
According to the Louisiana Department of Insurance (LDI), the second round of grants will offer up to $10,000 for homeowners to repair or replace their roofs to the Fortified Roof standards of the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety.
“Based on how quickly the first round of grants were taken and how many calls we’ve received about the Fortify Homes Program, it’s safe to say Louisianans understand the vital importance of building stronger,” said Commissioner of Insurance Jim Donelon. “In light of the interest in this program and our new laws requiring insurers to offer Fortify discounts and policy endorsements, I’m confident homeowners will soon begin to see a more stable property insurance market in south Louisiana.”
Homeowners are required to have a policy with Louisiana Citizens Property Insurance Corporation to apply for one of the 1,000 grants that will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, according to LDI.
Here are the eligibility requirements, according to LDI, to get the grant:
- Homeowners are only eligible for their primary residence and must verify they have a homestead exemption on the property if selected for a grant.
- Homeowners must provide proof of an active residential insurance policy with wind coverage if selected for a grant.
- New construction homes, condominiums and mobile homes do not qualify.
- Homes on a foundation constructed of unrestrained stacked masonry or stone are not eligible without an approved retrofit of the foundation.
- Homes must be in good repair as determined by a FORTIFIED Evaluator.
- Grant funds are paid directly to contractors.
Click here to learn more about the program. LDI said applicants are strongly encouraged to review eligibility information before applying.