BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) shares tips on how to drive safely in severe weather.
The department urges caution to those who are on the roadways and urges drivers to avoid driving if possible ahead of storms.
What drivers should do during and after storms:
- Drive slowly and carefully
- Turn lights on when using windshield wipers
- Avoid driving while distracted
- Always allow for extra driving time
- Reduce speeds when visibility is low
- Make sure there is plenty of room between vehicles
- Avoid driving into standing or running water
- Avoid using highway overpasses as tornado shelters
DOTD said it will be monitoring roads for flooding, fallen trees, and closures.