NEW ORLEANS, La (WDSU)- The Louisiana Workforce said that more than 1,500 restaurant and tourism related workers could be laid off in the coming months because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Included in that tally are the Hyatt and other downtown hotels and restaurants that rely heavily on the tourism industry.
As of Thursday, seven prominent New Orleans businesses have alerted the Louisiana Workforce Commission that they are planning big layoffs in the coming months.
Companies are legally required to issue notices when they anticipate furloughed or laid-off workers that won’t be rehired for at least six months.
High-profile restaurants intending to make cuts are Commander’s Palace, which is expected to lay off 240 workers, which is most positions other than a few management jobs.
Arnaud’s restaurant said it will lay off about 150 workers.
As for hotels, they have also submitted notices of layoffs.
The Hilton Riverside plans to lay off about 666 workers, and the Roosevelt Hotel will lay off 124 workers.
About 30 workers at the Hyatt Regency will be laid off, with some of those cuts being permanent.
The Wyndham on St. Charles Avenue is planning 25 permanent layoffs.
The American Queen Steamboat Company also notified the state that it plans to permanently cut about 250 workers.
The leisure and hospitality industry as a whole has seen the largest number of job losses.
It is down 31,000 jobs compared to about 6,100 jobs last year.