Man dies in Louisiana house fire

News

Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal Facebook page

GRETNA, La. (AP) — A disabled Louisiana man was killed after food left unattended on a stove sparked a fire, state fire investigators said Wednesday.

The fire happened Tuesday just after 6 p.m. in an apartment complex with four units in Gretna, a suburb of New Orleans, the state Fire Marshal’s Office said in a news release. The victim was a 55-year-old man who was confined to a wheelchair, authorities said. His body was found in a rear bedroom. The Jefferson Parish Coroner’s Office will conduct an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

Witnesses told investigators the victim’s father, who he lived with, left to go to a store and turned the burner on low before leaving instead of turning the stove off.

Working fire alarms were not found in the apartment.

By Associated Press

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories