CRANE, Texas (ABC Big 2/Fox 24) – Charles Perry, who lost his dog Benji last month in Crane, is still searching for his companion. But his friend, Rebecca Barbee, says it is time to move on.
“I think just give it some time. It’ll be Benji number two,” said Barbee, “I know Benji is still in his heart, and he’ll never stop looking for Benji. But at least he’s got a baby now.”
Neighbors in Crane helped Barbee adopt a new dog for Perry. Someone donated the adoption fees while Barbee’s coworker offered up three-month-old Missy.
“Oh, it’s awful. It just hurt my heart, you know? I told him, I said, ‘You’re taking this dog. You can still look for Benji, but I want you to have a companion.’”
Perry and the whole Crane community hope Benji will come back one day, but in the meantime, everyone is glad to see Perry smile again.
“I still look for Benji. I take her with me. She’s getting used to riding. She lays down in the front seat, and go to sleep, when I ride around. She’s just a baby. You got to treat her like a baby.”
As Missy and Perry look forward, for Perry, his mind will always dwell on Benji.
“Benji is my baby. He loves his daddy. He loves me more than my family ever loved me.”
- ‘Inhumane’ conditions continue for migrants living in Mexican border towns, nonprofit says
- Fauci answers: Can you have a dinner party if you’re vaccinated?
- Biden involved with Senate Dems to pass $1.9T relief package
- Third stimulus check calculator: How much will you get?
- LSU set to increase capacity at outdoor sporting events