BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPPROUD) – Baton Rouge Police Chief Murphy J. Paul, Jr. is holding a news conference at 3:30PM on Tuesday, June 9.
Tuesday morning, Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome’s Office sent out an email, reiterating the BRPD’s “Use of Force Policy” which changed in 2017.
- Officers are required to give a verbal warning, before using deadly force, except where there are exigent circumstances.
- Officers are required to de-escalate situations, when possible, before using force. De-escalation strategies include disengagement, area containment, waiting out a subject, summoning reinforcements, calling in specialized units or employing other strategies.
- Officers will not employ chokeholds or strangleholds, except in emergency circumstances where it is immediately necessary to use deadly force and the authorized weapons are inoperable, inaccessible or otherwise not available.
- Officers are prohibited from discharging a firearm at a moving vehicle unless the vehicle or the persons within the vehicle pose an immediate deadly threat to others.
- Officers will be required to intervene to prevent another officer from using excessive force and to immediately report when they observe the use of excessive force by another officer.
Chief Paul is expected to address building trust and legitimacy with his department during Tuesday’s news conference.