NAPLES, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman has been convicted of killing a teenager she accused of molesting her daughter.
The Naples Daily News reports 43-year-old Connie Serbu was found guilty Thursday of second-degree murder. She faces a possible life sentence at a Jan. 3 hearing.
Authorities say Serbu and her brother, 29-year-old John Vargas, drove 18-year-old Xavier Sierra to an undeveloped area west of the Naples Airport in July 2016. Vargas was fatally wounded in a struggle for a gun, and Serbu managed to shoot Sierra in the chest.
Prosecutors say Serbu wanted to kill Sierra because her daughter had told a babysitter that Sierra had touched her five years earlier, when she was about 5 years old and he was 12 or 13.
- Eminem takes aim at Drew Brees in new song
- Louisiana to dedicate $50 million in new federal education dollars largely to technology and workforce development
- Pathologist found blood clots in ‘almost every organ’ during autopsies on COVID-19 patients
- Educator called out for racially-charged post on social media
- WATCH: ‘Delivery boy’ leaving surprises for neighbors