HOUSTON (NEXSTAR) – A Texas mother has been charged after police say she accidentally shot her 5-year-old son while firing multiple times at a dog running loose in a Houston neighborhood over the weekend.
Angelia Mia Vargas, 24, is charged with deadly conduct–discharge of firearm in the Saturday afternoon incident.
Around 2:15 p.m., Vargas tried to shoot a loose dog running near 700 Dunham Road, firing three shots with a small caliber pistol, according to Detective J. Hasley with the Houston Police Department’s Major Assaults & Family Violence Division.
One of the bullets ricocheted and struck her son in the abdomen.
The 5-year-old victim was taken to an area hospital in stable condition, according to police. His wounds are not expected to be life-threatening.
Vargas was arrested and charged in this incident after prosecutors determined that she had fired across a public roadway and in the direction of two occupied houses.
The dog’s owner told KPRC that the 6-month-old boxer puppy suffered graze wounds to its hind legs but wasn’t seriously injured.
The owner of the dog was issued a citation of the dog running loose.
- Baton Rouge leaders, law enforcement creating solutions to prevent summer crime spike
- Meet Mackie, Companion Animal Alliance’s dog of the week
- Mother speaks out after autopsy photos of her son are released
- Florida double-murder suspect who acted as own attorney found guilty: ‘I did kill Kenyatta Barron’
- Oregon deputy kills pet chimp after owner reports attack