Arizona 3-year-old loses both legs to a severe staph infection after scraping his knee during a family camping trip. KPNX’s Tram Mai reports.
(KPNX/NBC Newschannel) – When an Arizona family was visiting San Diego in October, they had no idea the fall that their 3-year-old son took on his bike would become the medical nightmare they are now living.
Beauden Baumkirchner was riding his bicycle around his family’s campsite outside of San Diego, when he fell off, scraping his knee.
“He’s done that many, many times as any 3-year-old boy will do,” his father Brian Baumkirchner says.
The wound was cleaned and a bandage was placed over the scrape.
Less than 48 hours later, little Beauden was fighting for his life.
He was admitted into Rady’s Children’s Hospital and quickly seen by several doctors and nurses.
“The ICU doctor said that his labs, when he came in, were of concern, for sure. But the lab work at 1 p.m., just three hours later, his whole body was shutting down,” his father recalls. “They thought they were going to lose him, for sure, that night.”
A staph infection had quickly spread its way through the 3-year-old’s body.
Read more: https://bit.ly/2KnN3RH
- Sunday Night: Warming trend; Mostly dry pattern
- Baton Rouge businesses and sports fans are cautiously optimistic about Phase 3
- Louisiana’s public universities hoping to avoid budget cuts this year despite losing millions during pandemic
- No. 1 LSU Beach sweeps No. 19 Georgia State and HBU
- Meghan describes suicidal thoughts, anguish about hurtful discussions about son