Baton Rouge, La. (BRPROUD)— Healthcare providers put out an alert about historically low blood supply in the capital city. Officials at Baton Rouge General (BRG) said a downward trend in donations has put supply at a 25 year low.
Blood Donor Matt Moscona said, “When I heard there was a historically low blood supply, I just wanted to do my part.”
Baton Rouge General Chief Operating Officer Stephen Mumfore, said, “The fact that we have had all the ice issues this past week, it’s been hard for people to get out and get around. so we were already having shortages in the community due to covid, and when you add everything that happened with the weather this week…it compounded that. ”
Due to the slow down of interstate commerce from Shreveport, Baton Rouge General also found another way to get platelet supplies, which for crucial supplies like these, every second counted.
“The platelets are a little bit different than blood because the shelf life on them doesn’t last near as long, so platelets expire rather quickly..so if you don’t use them, you have to discard them and replenish,” said Mumfore.
A BRPD helicopter assisted in the transfer of platelets, which were desperately needed for surgeries.
To help resolve the blood supply shortage, hospitals encouraged those who can, to come out and donate.
Mumfore said, “It’s not hard at all and it will make a huge difference in our community, especially during these difficult times.”
“Give blood, it’s so critical, and your helping your neighbors, it’s an easy process, if you’re scared of needles turn your head away and talk to someone,” said Moscona.
All throughout this week and next week, BRG will be hosting blood drives, and all donors will receive a free antibody test, t-shirt, and a meal ticket to the cafeteria and Java General coffee shop.
Blood Drive locations are below:
- Bluebonnet – Friday, Feb. 19, 8 am-4 pm. Near Entrance 3, in the cafeteria.
- Bluebonnet – Saturday, Feb. 20, 9 am – 3 pm. Buses outside of Entrance 3
- Mid City – Sunday, Feb. 21, 9 am – 3 pm. Conference Rooms
- Bluebonnet – Monday, Feb. 22, 6 am – 12 pm. Conference Rooms
- Ascension – Tuesday, Feb. 23, 9 am – 3 pm
- Bluebonnet – Wednesday, Feb. 24, 12 pm – 6 pm. Conference Rooms
- Ascension – Thursday, Feb. 25, 9 am – 3 pm
- Mid City – Friday, Feb. 26, 10 am – 4 pm. Conference Rooms