BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) Louisiana State University’s new virtual media program is expected to get a new studio and give students more access to digital art in a partnership with Epic Games.
LSU was awarded a $1.25 million dollar grant for their new Virtual Production & Emerging Media Filmmaking program. Read more about the grant here.
The new program will connect and build upon existing programs in seven colleges, centers and schools:
- Digital Art (LSU School of Art)
- Film & TV and Experimental Music & Digital Media (LSU College of Music & Dramatic Arts)
- Screen Arts (LSU College of Humanities & Social Sciences)
- Digital Media Arts & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Science (LSU College of Engineering)
- LSU Center for Computation & Technology.
“The program will open up more positions in digital art for the state of Louisiana, including modelers, level designers, animators, lighters and CG supervisors,” Marc Aubanel, director of the LSU Digital Media Arts & Engineering program said.
In the next few months, LSU will build a virtual production stage, or XR studio, in their Digital Media Center. This center is also home to the university’s Center for Computation & Technology and EA Baton Rouge.
“The new studio will place LSU at the forefront of real-time filmmaking and empower our students’ work for years to come,” Aubanel said.
The studio is expected to have the following:
- Full-scale LED wall, photogrammetry
- Motion capture and motion control to create virtual sets
- Performances and cinematography for virtual production education and curriculum development.
LSU also ha s a partnership with Unreal Academic Partner Program by Epic Games, developer of the Unreal Engine 3D creation platform.
“We’re thrilled to welcome Louisiana State University as an academic partner, where it will continue to build the bridge between classroom and industry,” said Julie Lottering, director of Unreal Engine Education at Epic Games.
This partnership will give students access to more training, resources and better information on internships.
“There is ample opportunity ahead for creators in emerging fields like virtual production, and this is an excellent example of how to prepare students for the future,” Lottering said.