“No Mask, No Service” policy to begin in East Baton Rouge as Parish is deemed a COVID-19 hot spot

News

BATON ROUGE, La. (LOCAL 33/FOX 44) – East Baton Rouge Parish businesses have their signs ready for the Mayor’s “No Mask, No Service” policy.

“A report from the White House stated that the COVID-19 positive case rate growth is more than double the national average in Louisiana, specifically mentioning East Baton Rouge Parish as a hot spot,” said Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome.

She said that’s the reason behind her executive order making it mandatory for employees and customers to wear a face covering when inside businesses when social distancing isn’t possible.
The Parish has seen 1,313 positive Coronavirus cases in the last 12 days.

“When you start looking at these numbers that are unfortunately rising, we have to take it serious,” said Baton Rouge Police Chief Murphy Paul.

Paul said he had a call Thursday morning with all the law enforcement agencies in the parish to talk about enforcing the policy.

  • A first violation will get a business a courtesy notification.
  • A second is a documented warning.
  • A third violation could get the business a summons.

Paul added, “I think the process that we have in place with compliance with trying to work with businesses to get in compliance has been successful so far and I don’t see any reason why it won’t continue.”

Mayor Broome compared it to someone smoking in a public place.

“People see someone smoking, they ask them not to, they politely ask them not to smoke. If you see someone who is not wearing a mask, you politely ask them to wear a mask,” Broome said.

The executive order starts Friday at 12:01 p.m. and ends August 3rd at 11:59 p.m.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories