BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – Visitor restrictions have been in place at Ochsner Baton Rouge since March.
The hospital has been basing their visitor polices on whatever the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says is best.
As Louisiana is now in phase one, Ochsner Baton Rouge is making some changes to their visitor policies.
Some of those changes are listed below:
- Patients with a scheduled procedure who require assistance to the procedural area may now be accompanied by one adult support person. Previously, staff would assist the patient in moving to the procedure area.
- Procedural visitors are encouraged to wait in socially distant areas during the patient’s procedure.
- Pediatric patients will be allowed to have both parents/legal guardians accompany them to and from the procedural area. This was previously limited to one parent/guardian.
- Patients having surgery are now allowed one spouse/partner or support person with them prior to surgery.
- The visitor must then wait in a socially distant manner until a member of the surgery team provides an update at the conclusion of surgery. Previously, visitors were not allowed inside the facility with a surgery patient.
- Children (including Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) admitted to the hospital will be allowed to have both parents/legal guardians visit in the room.
- This was previously limited to one parent/guardian.
- In the most unfortunate of circumstances where a patient requires end-of-life/palliative care, they can have their spouse/partner and children visit.
If it is possible, Ochsner Baton Rouge prefers that visitors try to contact patients via phone or video chat.
The hospital provided more details about what to expect if you decide to visit a patient:
All persons entering an Ochsner Health location will be screened for fever and respiratory symptoms. In addition, all employees, patients and visitors will always be asked to wear a face mask while inside the facility (except children under 2). A visitor will be asked to return home if they exhibit symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, runny nose, cough, shortness of breath) or do not comply with the policy.
Patients visiting a health center have options to complete ePre-Check tasks and pay their copay in advance to skip the registration desk. Mobile Check-In is also available upon arrival to wait comfortably in your car. Waiting rooms have been reconfigured to follow social distancing guidelines and a constant cleaning schedule has been enhanced. In addition, Ochsner Pharmacies offer curbside pickup.