BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – On a gray and rainy afternoon, it can be tempting to stay indoors and indulge in a favorite comfort food.
This Wednesday, one national holiday gives such behavior a thumbs up and essentially says, “Have some pie while you’re at it.”
This year, National Peach Pie Day is Wednesday, August 24 and it’s celebrated by eating, baking, and gifting peach pies.
There’s no question about the popularity of pie in the U.S., as one statistic indicates that approximately $700 million in pies are sold in grocery stores across America annually.
And Louisiana is right there with every other state on the veritable pie bandwagon, with studies indicating that Louisianans have a strong preference for pecan pie.
But locals who are willing to expand their pie palates for the sake of National Peach Pie Day might enjoy creating Linda Skeens’ Peach Hand Pies, which were featured on NBC’s Today Show.
The recipe is below:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can peach pie filling
- 1 egg yolk
- sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. In a bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
3. Combine flour and salt, and gradually add to butter mixture. Mix together until it forms a dough.
4. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball, then flatten out. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in fridge for 1 hour.
5. Divide each portion of dough into 12 balls on a lightly floured surface. Roll each ball into a 4-inch circle. Place a tablespoon of pie filling on one side of each circle.
6. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of water.
7. Brush edges of pies with egg wash. Fold pastry over filling and seal edges with a fork.
8. Place pies 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush remaining egg wash on pies and sprinkle with sugar. Cut a slit in each pie.
9. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Whether you spend this Wednesday evening baking your favorite sweet treat, shopping for a delicious dessert, or gifting a friend with a pie, just make sure you find a way to enjoy National Peach Pie Day!