ST JAMES PARISH, La. (WDSU) – A 32-year-old man is behind bars in St. James Parish accused of killing his mother and barricading himself inside of a home with his 6-year-old son.
Sheriff Willy Martin Jr. said deputies responded to a shooting at 6249 Convent Station Drive in Convent 4:30 a.m. Thursday.
Deputies said they discovered the suspect, Carlos Washington, shot two people inside the home and barricaded himself inside with his son.
Washington shot once at deputies when they tried getting into the home and that’s when negotiations started to get him out.
During the negotiations, deputies said the suspect came outside with his son while armed with a pistol. Deputies successfully convinced Washington to release his son and give himself up.
Deputies found Anita Jacobs, the suspect’s mother, dead inside the home. They said she was shot in the head. They also said Don Jacobs, the suspect’s stepfather, was shot in the shoulder and taken to the hospital.
Washington was arrested and charged with second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder.
- WATCH: BRPROUD Midday for March 2nd
- Brewery farmer combats cedar with goats, and they drink the beer, too
- CareSouth providing COVID-19 vaccine in Donaldsonville, appointment needed
- US Supreme Court begins arguments in major voting rights case
- More young people fall for online scams amid pandemic, BBB says