(CNN Newsource) – A playboy tortoise may have saved his entire species; biologists say 100-year old Diego came to the rescue by having so much sex he brought his kind back from the brink of extinction.
Before Diego was put on loan from the San Diego Zoo, the island of Espanola was down to just 14 Galapagos tortoises.
Now thanks to Diego’s heroic, romantic efforts, the island has been re-populated with more than 2,000 tortoises. The Galapagos national parks service estimates that Diego accounts for about 40 percent of that population.
Diego is now able to retire after a career as perhaps the most desirable shell-dweller of all time.
- Counselors to remain available as Livingston Parish schools mourn passing of ‘special young man,’ superintendent says
- Drive-thru disaster recovery center for Hurricane Laura survivors to open in Cameron parish
- Student forced to leave high school football game because of Black Lives Matter shirt
- Destin experiences beach erosion after Sally
- DRONE FOOTAGE: Kayaking in the streets, washed-up boats, fire, destruction in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores