LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY) — Lafayette Police report they have arrested a 16-year-old male related to Sunday’s shooting death of Ja’nya Hebert, also 16.
Agents with the US Marshals Violent Offender Task Force apprehended the suspect without incident earlier today, according to Lafayette Police Sgt. Wayne Griffin.
Hebert’s body was discovered Sunday morning at around 1 a.m. in the 200 block of Harrington Drive. Investigators said Hebert was sitting in the passenger seat of a vehicle when a shooter fired a gun into the vehicle, striking her in the back. The shooter fled, leaving her to die.
“When I got there, she was already in the back of the ambulance, and they had the door kind of open,” said Hebert’s mother, Kysha Mouton. “I saw them working on her.”
- Thursday Morning: Dry & comfortable now; Hot & stormy this weekend
- How to manage stress going back to school in a pandemic
- Louisiana nurse goes viral after pleading for public to get COVID-19 vaccine
- Tokyo logs record 5,042 COVID cases as infections surge during Games
- Not again! US men’s team gone after another messy 4×100 relay