BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The Southwestern Athletic Conference has announced the postponement of all scheduled fall contests along with SWAC championships due to continuing concerns related to the COVID-19 global pandemic.
The postponement also affects the Auburn football team’s season opener with Alcorn State originally scheduled for Sept. 5.
The fall sports impacted include men’s and women’s cross country, football, women’s soccer and women’s volleyball. The conference has started the process of formalizing plans to conduct a competitive schedule for the fall sports during the 2021 spring semester.
Specifically, in the sport of football the plan includes a seven-game conference schedule beginning with an eight-week training period in January 2021. Each member institution will play a total of six conference games (four divisional/two non-divisional) with the option to play one non-conference game.
The SWAC shares in the disappointment that will undoubtedly be felt by student-athletes, fans, and supporters impacted by the postponement of fall sports competition. The league will continue to review appropriate measures to ensure the health, safety and well-being of student-athletes, coaches, administrators and the local community which continues to be the primary responsibility of the Southwestern Athletic Conference and its member institutions.
- Nursing home residents prepare for 2020 Thanksgiving visits
- Caretakers return from remote Hawaiian islands to changed world amid pandemic
- Border Democrats vow to hold Biden accountable on his pledge to not build ‘another foot of wall’
- BRAC releases COVID-19 economic impact indicator dashboard for capital area
- It’s not December yet, but Elf on the Shelf 2020 is already very different