Student overdoses on prescription medicine at elementary school in Louisiana, prompting emergency response




A student at Lake Forest Elementary overdosed on prescription medicine Thursday, prompting an emergency response from school officials.

The school sent a letter to parents Thursday describing the “serious incident.”

According to the letter, the child brought his own prescription medicine to school and took a large dose.

The school said that there were students who witnessed the incident, but did not report it, except for one student the school is calling “brave.”

Emergency services were called, as well as the student’s parents.

The child was taken to an area hospital.

The letter stressed to parents to the importance of students speaking up if they see a dangerous situation.

“Today, I brought all of our middle school students (6-8) together for a talk. As you know, we teach our students to SOAR every day – to be Safe Organized Accountable and Responsible. I wanted them to understand what happened and what being Safe really means. I informed them of the importance of being a community and dispelled the belief that “snitching” is wrong. We are asking you to please speak with your child(ren) tonight regarding the importance of a safe environment and what it takes to maintain a safe environment. Please let them know that the social worker, Mrs. Watson, is available anytime to speak with them and their conversation will remain strictly confidential,” said Robert M. Bell, IV, the principal, in the school letter.

The school also reminded parent’s of its medicine policy, saying that students are not allowed to keep any medicine in their possession unless it has been approved by the administration.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories