MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WFLA) – Tampa Bay Rays minor leaguer Blake Bivens’ wife and child were among three killed in Virginia Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Jeff Passan.
Passan reports police in Virginia have charged Bivens’ wife’s brother with first-degree homicide.
The Rays affiliate, the Montgomery Biscuits abruptly canceled Tuesday night’s game.
The team sent out a social media announcement that provided limited details other than that it had experienced “a tragic event within the Biscuits family.”
The team asked for privacy and said it will provide “an update when it’s appropriate.”
Their opponent, the Chatanooga Lookouts, sent out a tweet as well saying “Our thoughts are with the entire Tampa Bay Rays and Montgomery Biscuits organizations.”
The Rays have also released a statement saying “Our hearts are broken for Blake. We are grieving with him and will support him any way you can.”
- BRAC releases statement on racial disparities, pledges sustained action to improve regional economic inclusion
- City of Gonzales issues guidelines for baseball and softball
- Rep. Garret Graves announces $1.6 million CARES Act Grant for Baton Rouge
- LDH confirms – total deaths due to COVID-19, 42,486 confirmed cases
- Marines from Alabama return home from year-long deployment; sergeant meets son for first time