Teen accused of intentionally causing a fatal car crash after telling authorities ‘God instructed him to kill himself’ has been ordered to a state mental hospital


As soon as Jack Jordan walked to into the courtroom at the 19th judicial district courthouse, his parents became emotional.

“[Jordan’s parents] hearts go out to the Payne family,” Jordan’s attorney, James Manesseh, said.

Friday morning, Judge Bonnie Jackson ordered Jordan be sent to a state mental hospital.

“The judge did the appropriate thing. Mr. Jordan was interviewed by three doctors. All three doctors say that he’s not competent to proceed right now,” Manesseh said.

This comes a month after authorities say Jordan intentionally caused the deadly car crash that killed 51-year-old Stephanie Payne.

“He’s suffering from psychosis and he needs to go to the hospital to get treatment to see if they can restore his competency so they can proceed,” Manasseh said.

Manesseh also hopes doctors can give his client the treatment he needs.

“He’s going to be examined. He’s going to be given medication and treatment to help people who suffer from metal health issues,” he said.

It’s a ruling Manasseh thinks is in the best interest of his client, but knows nothing can change what happened.

“We want him to get help. This is a absolute tragic situation for everybody. Mrs. Payne, from everything we heard about her, was a wonderful person,” he said.

Payne was a wife, mother and grief counselor. Two days after her death, family friend and co-worker of Payne’s husband, Tim, said he still can’t believe she’s gone.

“To lose someone like Stephanie, to think of not having that person in this world anymore, it saddens me,” Avery Davidson said.

Authorities say Jordan crashed his car into Payne’s while driving more than 90 miles an hour and told them God instructed him to kill himself.

Jordan is set to appear before the judge in November to determine whether or not he is competent enough to proceed.

Paynes family sent a statement saying:

“We know the legal process is moving along and that it is going to take some time. While we are monitoring what happens, we’re much more focused on honoring the memory of Stephanie and keeping the words she left us alive. We only ask for continued prayers for all involved so that we may find god’s grace to heal and move forward.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories