ST. MARY PARISH, La. (KLFY) — A car fleeing from a Patterson Police cruiser ran off the roadway and struck a tree, killing two passengers and injuring the driver, according to Louisiana State Police Troop I.
Warren Joe Hines, 46, and Markqel James, 17, both of Franklin, were killed in the crash. They were two of three people in a 1999 Cadillac Eldorado driven by Joseph B. James, 39, of Franklin. Neither Hines nor Markqel James were buckled up.
Public Information Officer TFC Thomas Gossen said the Patterson Police Department attempted to pull James over in a traffic stop, but James refused to stop. A pursuit ensued with speeds reaching over 100 mph. Before reaching the Franklin city limits at around 12:30 a.m., the car ran off the road and struck a tree.
Hines and Markqel James were pronounced dead at the scene. Joseph James was taken to a local hospital and was listed in critical condition Sunday afternoon. A toxicology report is pending on Joseph James.
It is not known if the two Jameses are related. The crash remains under investigation and charges are pending.
- Former LSU Tiger first player in modern MLB to win Batting Title in each league
- Louisiana treasurer to pause on taking COVID-19 business grant applications; legislators to debate fate
- Geaux Black and Gold LIVE Halftime Show: Packers at Saints
- Livingston Parish Public Schools announces two early dismissal days in October
- Louisiana man booked on 194 counts of possession of child pornography