LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY) UPDATE: Investigators believe an argument over child custody led to a shooting in the parking lot of Planet Fitness in the 1800 block of Evangeline Thruway Wednesday night.
Lafayette Police Department spokesman Sgt. Wayne Griffin said at about 9 p.m., officers responded to the scene where they found a 32-year-old man who was shot in the face.
First aid measures were quickly started by first responders, Griffin said. The victim was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The suspect, 27-year-old Bryant Batiste, was taken into custody and now faces a charge of attempted second-degree murder.
As of Thursday morning, no bond had been Batiste.
ORIGINAL: There is a heavy police presence tonight in the parking lot at the Northgate Mall near Planet Fitness.
Lafayette Police have confirmed that they were dispatched to the area on a report of shots fired.
One person was shot and has been transported to a local hospital, police said.
Several eyewitnesses tell KLFY that multiple people were fighting in the parking lot before shots rang out.
KLFY has a crew headed to the scene and will provide additional details as they become available.
- No answer from Brees on future as turnovers end Saints 2020 season
- Local group “Save Our Sons” begging Baton Rouge residents to speak out against violent crimes
- Sean Payton talks possibility of Drew Brees’ final game
- WATCH HERE: Saints- Bucs post game
- Geaux Black and Gold LIVE Halftime Report: Bucs at Saints