VERMILION PARISH, La. —The Vermilion Parish Sheriff’s Office issued a dire warning to residents choosing to ride out Hurricane Laura.
The sheriff posted on Facebook about a mandatory evacuation for portions of the parish.
Mandatory evacuations were issued for the following areas:
Evacuation for these areas are mandatory:
• Pecan Island.
• Intracoastal City.
• Forked Island.
• Mouton Cove.
Along with the following areas, south of Louisiana Highway 14:
• Any low lying areas prone to flooding.
The sheriff said those choosing to stay instead of evacuate should put identifying information on their bodies so the sheriff’s office can identify them after the storm.
“Those choosing to stay and face this very dangerous storm must understand that rescue efforts cannot and will not begin until after storm and surge has passed and it is safe to do so. Please evacuate, and if you choose to stay and we can’t get to you, write your name, address, social security number and next of kin and put it a Ziploc bag in your pocket. Praying that it does not come to this.”
- LIVE Friday Update: New video of conditions when Seacor Vessel capsized on Tuesday.
- BRFD responds to accidental fire started by repairman
- Families hope loved ones can be found alive in capsized boat
- Head of Tokyo Olympics again says games will not be canceled
- Louisiana lawmakers weigh medical marijuana expansion, tax