BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — Local military veteran Tangela Byrd received the surprise of a lifetime Thursday when area businesses banded together to present her with a free car.
Byrd is the latest recipient of a national program to aid veterans with reliable transportation.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, approximately forty percent of veterans live in rural areas where affordable transportation options are limited, and where it’s necessary for them to travel great distances to receive medical care, reach employment centers, and access other services.
The vehicle was donated by Progressive Insurance and Enterprise Rent-A-Car through the Keys to Progress program, which delivers certified vehicles from Enterprise’s U.S. fleet.
- Kobe Dillon sets SWAC all-time record in Southern blowout win vs UAPB
- Loved ones say final goodbyes to Master Trooper Adam Gaubert
- DC Comics changes Superman’s motto, replaces ‘the American way’
- St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office awarded grant for litter removal efforts
- Monroe man arrested on 23 counts of Monetary Instrument Abuse and multiple drug charges