BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — Local military veteran Tangela Byrd received the surprise of a lifetime Thursday when area businesses banded together to present her with a free car.
Byrd is the latest recipient of a national program to aid veterans with reliable transportation.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, approximately forty percent of veterans live in rural areas where affordable transportation options are limited, and where it’s necessary for them to travel great distances to receive medical care, reach employment centers, and access other services.
The vehicle was donated by Progressive Insurance and Enterprise Rent-A-Car through the Keys to Progress program, which delivers certified vehicles from Enterprise’s U.S. fleet.
- Analysis: Louisiana lawmakers renew talk of TOPS disparities
- Fiancé of missing boater gives update on Sunday’s search for remaining Seacor Power crewmen lost at sea
- United Cajun Navy joins search for missing crew members
- Dog receives award after saving his owner’s life
- Louisiana native’s newly released book ‘Love and Happiness’ is candid and revealing