BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — Local military veteran Tangela Byrd received the surprise of a lifetime Thursday when area businesses banded together to present her with a free car.
Byrd is the latest recipient of a national program to aid veterans with reliable transportation.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, approximately forty percent of veterans live in rural areas where affordable transportation options are limited, and where it’s necessary for them to travel great distances to receive medical care, reach employment centers, and access other services.
The vehicle was donated by Progressive Insurance and Enterprise Rent-A-Car through the Keys to Progress program, which delivers certified vehicles from Enterprise’s U.S. fleet.
- Summer P-EBT benefits arriving next week for K through 12 students in Louisiana
- Watch the moment when Simone Biles leaves Olympic Games
- Moroccan Olympic boxer tries to take a bite out of opponent
- Man dies after losing control of vehicle on North I-110
- Caught on video: Woman attacks store owners after card declined