BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Birmingham City Council President William Parker is planning to honor frontline healthcare heroes at Tuesday’s council meeting, with a resolution recognizing 2020 National Nurses Week.
National Nurses Week spans from Wednesday through May 12. It coincides with Florence Nightingale’s birthday who is considered to be the founder of modern nursing.
“There couldn’t be a more appropriate time to celebrate the hard work, bravery, and dedication of the nurses in our area who are on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic,” Parker said. “We are always grateful for the passion and selflessness that they exemplify every day on the job. However, in the past few months, we have been reminded of how special these individuals truly are.”
The council is also planning some activities further honoring nurses that will be announced later in the week.
- Two-time world champion snowboarder Alex Pullin dies in spearfishing accident
- Chief Justice John Roberts was hospitalized overnight in June after a fall
- Police chief who took a bullet for President Reagan retires after nearly 50 years
- Mommy Minute: How to encourage kids to wear a face mask
- Should Lafayette be forced to wear face masks? Council says yes. Mayor-President says no.