CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) — A pair of would-be thieves in a stolen pickup truck tried to steal an entire ATM at a bank in Chapel Hill early Sunday, police said.
The incident was reported around 5:45 a.m. at the Bank of America at 851 Willow Drive, according to a news release from Chapel Hill police.
Two masked men — with at least one carrying a large pry bar — tried to take the ATM, police said. They attached a chain to the stolen pickup truck and wrapped the chain around the ATM.
However, photos from the scene show the ATM just fell over and the theft was unsuccessful.
Police said they do not believe any money was taken.
The white pickup truck with “NYC, LLC Underground Construction” on the side, was stolen from a construction site on Dobbins Drive, according to police.
The truck has a license plate of EZ7754. Anyone who spots the truck should call 911 to report the location, police said.
No other information was released. Police said the incident was still under investigation.
- Single-vehicle crash claims life of Columbia woman
- ‘Tutone’ reminds you to wash your hands during COVID-19 Crisis
- Coronavirus Daily Update: LDH reports uptick in cases and deaths
- Streaming freebies to take advantage of while you’re stuck at home
- “Don’t come here.” Desantis: Checkpoints at state lines to keep travelers from covid-19 “epicenters” out of the panhandle