WACO, Texas – The No. 10/7 LSU softball came from behind to defeat Baylor, 4-2 on Saturday in game two of the three-game series. The Tigers’ win is the 40th on the season. The Tigers will play game three in 30 minutes.
Baylor got on the board in the third inning with a solo home run to right center off LSU starter Maribeth Gorsuch, taking a 1-0 lead on the Tigers. The Bears put another run across in the fourth off a wild pitch by Gorsuch.
Baylor followed by loading the bases and the Tigers made a change in the circle, going to Shelbi Sunseri. Sunseri got a strikeout and Amanda Sanchez made a great catch on a line drive down the third base line to get out of the inning.
The Tigers tied up the game with two runs in the sixth. Savannah Stewart drew a leadoff walk and Andrews followed with a fielder’s choice to the pitcher, but the Baylor pitcher threw the ball away, all the way to the centerfield wall, allowing Stewart and Andrews to score.
Sunseri gave the Tigers a 3-2 lead in the sixth with a solo shot over the right center wall, her second on the series, 15th on the year and the 66th team home run, breaking the program record.
The Tigers scored an insurance run in the seventh. Sunseri came away with the win, her 12th on the year.
Check back for a full recap.
- The Tigers win marks the 40th win of the season. It’s the 20th season in program history with 40-plus wins and the eighth under head coach Beth Torina with 40 or more wins.
- Shelbi Sunseri hit the team’s 65th home run in game one to tie the program record for home runs in a single season by a team and helped the Tigers break the record in game two of the series. It was her 14th and the 15th home runs on the season.
- Andrews has 44 stolen bases on the season, which is now one away from tying the single-season program record of 45 stolen bases. She has tied sister AJ Andrews in career steals with 97.
- The Tigers are now 8-0 against Baylor since 1997 in program history.
- When holding their opponents to two runs or less, the Tigers are 31-0.
- Sunseri has now had a hit in the last eight games.
(Press Release Provided by LSU Athletics)