NEW ORLEANS, La. (BRPROUD) – The New Orleans Saints’ first-team offense looked like a well-oiled machine against the Kansas City Chiefs in the team’s first preseason game. The Saints scored on their first three drives of the game.

Saints quarterback Derek Carr started the game and only played one series, making the most of it. Carr went 6/8 for 70 yards, capping off a 12-play 80-yard drive with a four-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Keith Kirkwood to put the Saints up 7-0.

The Saints went on to put together two more scoring drives led by quarterback Jameis Winston. On Winston’s first drive, he led a 4-play 48-yard drive capped off with a 29-yard touchdown pass to rookie receiver A.T. Perry to put the Saints up 14-0 in the first quarter. 

Then on the third Saints drive of the game, kicker Wil Lutz knocked in a 36-yard field goal to put New Orleans up 17-0 early in the second quarter.

Winston played the remainder of the first half, going 11/13 for 92 yards and 1 touchdown. Winston was also sacked three times for a combined loss of 28 yards.

The Saint’s first-team defense also looked dominant to begin the game. New Orleans turned the Chiefs over on down on Kansas City’s first drive of the game, later forcing Kansas City into back-to-back 3-and-out drives. 

The Chiefs found the endzone in the second quarter when Blaine Gabbert connected with Richie James for the touchdown to make it 17-7 Saints. 

New Orleans lead 17-7 at the half despite an interception by Saints safety Ugo Amadi with less than 2 minutes to go in the half.

Saints rookie quarterback Jake Haener started the second half under center and began with a rocky start, going 0/3 and throwing an interception in the third quarter. Haener continued to struggle, finishing 10-17 for 105 passing yards and one touchdown.

The Chiefs took advantage of the turnover, going 54 yards in five plays capped off with a 15-yard quarterback Shane Buechele touchdown strike to wide receiver Justyn Ross to make it 17-14 Saints.

From there, the Chiefs blew the door open. Buechele found receiver Kekoa Crawford for an eight-yard touchdown strike as time expired in the third quarter to put Kansas City up 21-17. 

Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker would kick a 36-yard field goal in the fourth quarter to extend the Kansas City lead to 24-17.

With six minutes left in the fourth quarter, Butker made a field goal making the score 24-17.

With less than two minutes left in the fourth quarter, Haener passed to running back Ellis Merriweather for a touchdown. The Saints attempted a two-point conversion, but it failed, making the score 24-23.

With under a minute left, Saints Kicker Blake Grupe made a field goal to end the game 26-24.

Up next for the Saints, a trip to the west coast to face the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday, Aug. 20.