Weddings canceled amid COVID-19 concerns

Uncategorized

BATON ROUGE, La.(LOCAL 33)(FOX 44) – The wedding pictures were already taken and the invitations sent. All Arlean Wilson and her fiance Johnny Jones had to do hold on until next Friday for the ceremony. six months in planning is now down the drain.

“Yesterday we sent out word to all of our guests that we were going to reschedule,” Wilson says.


Last week, when governor John Bel Edwards announced that gatherings over 250 people were banned, Wilson started to get nervous. Her guest list was just under that number stopping at 120 people. Then the number got even lower stopping at 50.

“I was sad. I’d finally gotten to the point where most brides get where I was ready to be done. And now I have to wait.”


Wilson isn’t alone. Sydney Coffee is the owner of The Guru. It’s a small entertainment hall that hosts wedding receptions, birthday parties and baby showers. Since the virus outbreak, coffee says she’s lost every client for the month of march and a few appoints in early April.

Luckily for her, some of her clients opted to reschedule rather than cancel their events completely. But that still leaves her in vulnerable position. Coffee says she stands to lose $600 dollars to a thousand dollars per cancellation.
“We’re bleeding out,” Wilson says. “Not just not getting business but your also paying out.”


Now her biggest concern is how to keep the business above water. If the coronavirus outbreak continues into the summer months. Coffee says she might need help to keep the doors open.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories