A severe weather alert has been issued by the National Weather Service for Baton Rouge.
According to NWS, the Flood Warning is “in effect until Friday, August 9 at 7:00 AM CDT.”
The National Weather Service provided this detailed information about the severe weather alert below:
The Flood Warning continues for
The Mississippi River At Baton Rouge.
* Until Friday August 09.
* At 11:00 AM Friday the stage was 42.2 feet.
* Major flooding is occurring and Major flooding is forecast.
* Flood stage is 35.0 feet.
* Forecast…The river will continue rising to near 43.0 feet by
Saturday July 13. The river will fall below flood stage Friday
* Impact…At 43.0 feet…Shipping and industrial activities are
significantly affected. Unprotected low-lying areas will be flooded
and agricultural operations will be impacted on the west side of
the river. The city of Baton Rouge is protected by levees at this
* Impact…At 40.0 feet…The grounds of the older part of Louisiana
State University’s campus become soggy. This includes the area
around the Veterinary Medicine building, the Veterinary Medicine
Annex, the stadium and ball fields. The city of Baton Rouge and the
main LSU campus are protected by levees at this level.